These days.....

These days you will find a lot of my posts and photographs reflecting my journey through grief. Of course there may be some other stuff along the way. Guess we will just have to wait and see where this journey takes us.

Phenomenal Woman

Over the next little while I am going to be thinking and posting about my Momma and share with you why she was such a phenomenal woman. I imagine some of you will learn things about her that you never knew. For others, it will remind you of why you too thought she was phenomenal. Blessings to you all on your journeys.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Faithful loving wife - 63 years, 251 days

Wednesday, August 14, 1946 
...was my parents wedding day.  They got married on a Wednesday because that was the only day his parents, my grandparents (Mam-ma and Nan) could be there.  (They ran Hargrove's Grocery in West End and they were closed on Wednesdays - back in the day).
Mr. and Mrs. Billy M. Hargrove, August 14, 1946
(This picture is their entire wedding album.)

They got married at Haddock Baptist Church sometime late to mid afternoon - Dad can't remember exactly what time. (I wish I had talked to Momma more about that day - always thought we had plenty of time).  Momma got ready in the room upstairs over the choir loft.  Daddy says she was the most beautiful bride and his heart was filled with love as he saw her step out onto the landing and then down the staircase and into his life for the next 63 plus years. (Daddy's aunt Emmy(sp) said she was the most beautiful bride she had ever seen too.)

Tom was an 18 year old serving in Vietnam when they celebrated anniversary number 25.  Naturally, it fell to me, the eldest daughter to do something.  Our dear family friends, Jean Page and Mickey Starling came to my rescue and helped me plan a sweet little reception at our home on Fairmont Ave. in Greenville, South Carolina.
Jean Page, Mickey Starling & Me - all ready for anniversary 25.

And then came our celebration of their 50 years together.  We had a sweet little drop-in at their home.  I am sad that I can't remember the details of that day.  I know we must have had many drop by but the only thing I remember of that day is what you see in the picture below.
50th Anniversary Celebration, 1996

Tomorrow would have been their 64 wedding anniversary.  We, our family, will be gathering at the Red Lobster in Macon - to celebrate, to mourn, to carry each other through.

***********************************************************************************
Momma loved Red Lobster.  I have many fond memories of our family gatherings there.  I remember once when Mom & Dad were return from one of their many trips she called me, "Honey, we are going to stop in Macon on the way home and eat at Red Lobster, do you want to join us?"  I told her I would there as quick as I could.

We celebrated Momma's 80th birthday at the Red Lobster and had a wonderful time.
Momma's 80th birthday at Red Lobster, December 29, 2007

No comments: